Name/TitleGerman Army Field Telephone Handset, WWI
About this objectThis German Army Field telephone handset would have been attached to a wooden box.
From investigation on the internet 'field telephones (mobile telephones) were intended for military use and designed to withstand wartime conditions. Field telephones replaced flag signals and the telegraph as an efficient means of communication. The first field telephones had a wind-up generator, used to power the telephone's ringer & batteries to send the call, and call the manually operated telephone central. This technology was used from the 1910s to the 1960s.'
[Disclaimer: This information was created from historic documentation, and may not necessarily reflect the best available knowledge about the item. Some collection images are created for identification purposes only and may not be of reproduction quality. Some images are not available due to copyright restrictions. If you have information or questions about objects in the collection, please contact via firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to cite this page: 1900-862-001, URL: http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/account/3188/object/547869, updated 11 August, 2015]
Medium and MaterialsThe handset is shaped like an ordinary telephone. The body is made from metal, painted green. The hand piece is covered in black leather. Switches are made from bakelite and wood. The ear piece is lined with black leather and the rim is made from wood. The speaker end has a brass ring and is covered in brass mesh. The cord is copper wire covered in cotton. The plug is bakelite with brass prongs.
Inscription and MarksOn the wood on the rim of the handset is the inscription 'TELEFON & TELEGRAPHENBAU GES FRANKFURT A/M 27355'.
Subject and Association KeywordsWWI Telecommunications