Name/TitleSchool Certificate of Achievement, 1914
About this objectThis School Certificate of Achievement was presented to Molly Hampton along with other pupils of the Douglas School in November, 1914. The pupils honourably sacrificed the acceptance of their Annual Prizes and gave the proceeds to the Great Britain and Belgian War Relief Funds.
The Certificate is signed by the Teacher Francesca Waldie and School Chairman, A.S. Kinsman.
In 1911 families arrived to settle on the 3536 acres of land in the Waihao Downs area of the Waimate District that became known as the Douglas Settlement. The Douglas School was opened in 1912 and in its heyday had 40 pupils on the school roll. The school closed in 1952 and was bought by the Mehrtens family in 1962 who later gifted it to the Waimate Historical Society. In 2002 the Douglas School building was transported to its current location on the Waimate Museum site where it has undergone restoration and is now used for heritage education purposes.
[Disclaimer: This information was created from historic documentation, and may not necessarily reflect the best available knowledge about the item. Some collection images are created for identification purposes only and may not be of reproduction quality. Some images are not available due to copyright restrictions. If you have information or questions about objects in the collection, please contact via email@example.com.
How to cite this page: 2004-052-001, URL: http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/account/3188/object/564353, updated 17 November, 2015]
Place MadeWaihao Downs, Waimate
Credit LineMr Ian Mehrtens (Donor)